Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New file cache always crashes my houdini 7 months 1 week ago #376

• dai
  • dai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello hello,
I found "Caching(beta)" tab in a carbon simulation node and when I check "Allow Caching To Disk", it always crashes my houdini.
I know that it is still beta function but is it normal behavior at this moment?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New file cache always crashes my houdini 7 months 1 week ago #377

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi dai,

Thank you for reporting this.
Crashes are never expected behavior and I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
I had a look at this, and it turns out that during one of our latest big library upgrades, we have accidentally introduced a bug, which causes the caching to crash Houdini in certain situations.
This will be fixed for the next release.

This beta version of caching is quite limited, so let me explain the feature in the current state:
  • It only works to redo a partial simulation of a simulation that has just been done. So, you cannot reload a scene and have Carbon picking up an old cache and redo partial simulation from here. You will have to simulate from the beginning again. Once you get it going once though, you are able to do partial re-simulation.
  • It does not support Plumage, N-Lattice, and Joints
  • If you move the timeline to the first frame of the simulation, it will reset the simulation if you have changed any parameters, i.e. if you have done a partial re-simulation using the caching feature. To replay the timeline and avoid the simulation to restart calculating, you must either change the time line's start frame to the second simulation frame, or disable the simulation before replay by using the little brain icon towards the bottom right corner of the Houdini screen.

Once we have a new build, you will be able to test this feature with the recommended workflow:
  1. Rewind time line.
  2. In Carbon Simulation node, tick the Allow Caching To Disk box.
  3. In Carbon Simulation node, enter a cache file path. The name must contain $F to index the frame.
  4. Make all your Carbon Cloth/Morph nodes use the Advanced interface, as otherwise you won't be able to animate the parameters.
  5. In your Carbon nodes that you are planning to edit, tick all the Animated XYZ parameters, as otherwise any change in parameters will not be taken in to account.
  6. Run the simulation. For each frame you should see in the terminal window the caching message "SaveCache framenumber: xxx bytes".
  7. Go to the time frame just before where there has been a problem, change the parameters, you should see the message "LoadCache framenumber: xxx bytes read (deserialized xxx bytes)"
  8. Continue the simulation, and it will pick up with the new parameters.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds