• Page:

TOPIC:

How to save the cache? 2 months 3 weeks ago #396

• lkw
  • lkw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi~

How to save the cache?
Delete the cache after a certain frame (for example, keep the cache before 10 frames, delete the cache after 10 frames)?
How to continue the simulation from a certain frame?

tks~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by lkw.

How to save the cache? 2 months 3 weeks ago #397

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi lkw,

Thank you for your questions.

Unfortunately, the simulation is only temporarily cached to support scrubbing the timeline.
In SOP, it is cached in a simple Houdini Cache node.
And in DOP, the caching is automatically handled by the DOP itself. We currently do not support .sim files.
If you are using DOP, we have a beta caching feature, and I would like to point you to this forum entry, as it might be helpful:
www.numerion-software.com/index.php/foru...ashes-my-houdini#376

There is no option to run a simulation from cache, i.e. warm start, if that is what you are looking for.
However, you can import and export velocities for Cloth nodes. So, you could run a simulation up to let's say frame 20 and export the Cloths with their velocitites.
This can then be used to start a new simulation.
Please note that this is not a real warm start, as a simulation state is comprised of more than just the Cloth's position and velocity.
While you will see similar behavior to what you would get if you just continued running the first simulation, it wouldn't be the exact same.
But if you were planning to change some parameters anyways, it might not matter.
In summary, each simulation in itself is deterministic, meaning if you don't change parameters and re-run it, it will always give you the same result.
So running simulation A for 20 frames will not give you the same result as taking simulation A's frame 10 and running simulation B for 10 frames using that as start frame.

I hope this makes sense.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds