Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to use goal skin to match animation input pose?

How to use goal skin to match animation input pose? 2 months 2 weeks ago #250

• Xing
  • Xing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I am new to carbon. I am using goal skin to try to match an animated pose I have on the goal mesh. My scene has high speed animation. And during certain frames I have the goal mesh in a pose that I need the simulation to match. I give goal skin strength and viscosity parameter large values, and key them during the frames I want the simulation to match the pose, but I am still not getting a good result. Any good ideas about how to approach this please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to use goal skin to match animation input pose? 2 months 2 weeks ago #251

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 14
Hi Xing,

Thank you for reaching out - we like to help.
Any chance you could share your assets or some representation of those assets as this type of problem is hard to solve, without better understanding of the exact problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edit: by admin.

How to use goal skin to match animation input pose? 2 months 2 weeks ago #261

• Xing
  • Xing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I build an test scene to show what I want to achieve. In the scene, I key a pose on frame 47, and I key the goal skin parameters during those frames. I want to make the simulation to match the pose on frame 47 as close as possible when the body is moving very fast. My actual scene has much higher speed than the one I uploaded, so the cloth is dragging a lot and couldn't get close to the goal skin shape.
Attachments:

How to use goal skin to match animation input pose? 2 months 2 weeks ago #263

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 10
Hi Xing,

Thanks for sharing the test scene. This is really helpful.

First of all, your goal pose at frame 47 is quite deformed compared to the reference (which is your start pose because you did not provide a separate reference).
In order to allow the cloth to deform, especially stretch, this much, you need to relax the Extension limits, i.e. change Stretch Extension and Surface Extension to maybe 4.0. This will allow your cloth to physically stretch enough to hit the target shape.
Next, with the hard limits removed, you probably want to increase Stretch Stiffness to prevent the cloth from stretching too much under its own weight, e.g. maybe set it to 100 instead of the default (10).
Now, you can increase the Goal Skin Strength (and possibly Viscosity) further. I went very extreme and used 10000 for Goal Skin Strength but that achieves a pretty precise matching.
Now, you might want to use a Goal Skin Strength value > 0 throughout the simulation to prevent the skirt from going extremely adrift, which will make it easier to achieve any target goal positions. That way, you won't need such extremely high Goal Skin Strength values to reach the target.
Also, if you need the geometry to 100% match a target, it could be worth having a look at this:
carbon0920h.numerion-software.com/tutorials_goal_pose.html
This is one of our Houdini tutorials, and we are currently in the process of making a Maya version of this tutorial as well.
But in the meantime, it could be helpful for you in this case. What we do in the flag tutorial is to paint the Goal Skin Strength and animate the Range as well as the Upper Threshold to turn points kinematic. Kinematic points match the goal mesh 100%.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xing

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds