Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stitching vs Seaming and why is there a gap when I stitch two panels?

Stitching vs Seaming and why is there a gap when I stitch two panels? 1 month 4 days ago #239

• Jimmy
  • Jimmy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I am trying to stitch 2 edges (points), with 0 gaps. But when I use stitching, I keep getting a gap between the 2 pieces of cloth.

I don't know which one to use stitching or seaming? and what was the difference between the 2.

I am trying to avoid using the fuse node in houdini because it changes things too much.

Thanks
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by admin.

Stitching vs Seaming and why is there a gap when I stitch two panels? 1 month 2 days ago #241

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your question.

With regard to the gap between panels when stitching - check out this post.
numerion-software.com/index.php/forum/ti...in-my-stitched-cloth

In terms of Stitching vs Seaming, stitching or binding are the constraints you are likely to use most, seaming is when you want control the distance between too cloths, for example if you are placing them to prepare to drape a garment made of panels around a character. To best understand the difference between stitching and seaming - check out the examples in the docs and the parameters of each constraint.

Thanks,
Mike

Stitching vs Seaming and why is there a gap when I stitch two panels? 1 month 2 days ago #242

• Jimmy
Thanks, this helps alot.

I read thru the tip page you sent. Is there a way to not have the fatness affect the edge while still having inner/outer fatness? Essentially just extruding along the normals? The reason I ask is because the thick mesh in my case is just extruded geometry from Maya.

Thanks
Jim

Stitching vs Seaming and why is there a gap when I stitch two panels? 1 month 2 days ago #243

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 13
Glad it helped. Fatness is essential to collision handling in cloth and so there is no way to have a different fatness on the edge to the sides.
Remember though that you can separate what you simulate from what you finally render, you can wrap the simulation mesh with a bigger render mesh for example.

Depending on what you want the result to look like you can -
1) just render a larger cloth
2) trim the cloth length to allow for fatness
3) remove collision from the end of one panel and overlap it with the other - see the binding example in the video @ 1.22 -

Without knowing exactly what effect you are looking for its difficult to give more detailed advice.

Thanks,
Mike

Stitching vs Seaming and why is there a gap when I stitch two panels? 4 weeks 2 days ago #244

• Jimmy
Thanks Mike

Ya I make my render geo a little more fatter on the edges to compensate.

-Jim

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds