Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Resolution independent simulation 1 year 9 months ago #354

• JC
  • JC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi dai,

>> moved from Maya forum - question was "I hope the resolution independent would come to carbon too.."

Our equations are resolution independent and all our pipeline is deterministic. But as you know, a cloth has a number of degrees of freedom proportional to its number of points, and it can't bend anywhere else than on an edge. So even if the equations are resolution independent, the behaviour will remain resolution dependent if you compare a low resolution with a resolution 10 times higher.
Also it is easy to confuse a resolution dependency with a lack of convergence. Your simulation needs to be converged to achieve resolution independence.
In any case, if we can help further do let us know.

Cheers,
JC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by admin.

Resolution independent simulation 1 year 9 months ago #355

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 20
So Dai, as JC said - Carbon simulation is already resolution independent at the equation level -
but we are are not here to promote marketing messages - at the end of the day the result of any sim is always going to be resolution dependent for the reasons JC outlined above.

As you said in an earlier thread Carbon is 14x faster than Bifrost, soon to be 20+ times faster, so with Carbon it's much faster to visualise the simulation at the final sim resolution - which is ultimately what we think you care about.

Cheers,
Mike

Resolution independent simulation 1 year 8 months ago #361

• dai
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you so much!
I haven't noticed that this thread is moved here since it wasn't notified via e-mail.
I'm looking forward to see how much faster the new carbon will be!!

btw, carbon was 14x faster than Bifrost on Maya here. not Vellum.

Last edit: by dai.

Resolution independent simulation 1 year 8 months ago #365

• admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi Dai,
Sorry I just corrected Vellum > bifrost.
Also we just released the first of two performance enhancements in a Houdini build.
Carbon performance in Houdini or Maya is the same....
Typical scenes like the tutorial_avatar included in the documentation, run 22% faster, tight twisting cloths run up to 80% faster.
Your mileage will vary depending on the nature of your scene and your CPU.
It's no mean feat to achieve this level of performance increase in a highly optimized solver like Carbon.
But even more amazing that this is the first of two performance upgrades, second one we expect to release in a couple months ...
Dev team are really rocking.

Carbon Cloth for Maya build with performance optimization should be available in a week or so. It has a few other features and so is still in testing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dai

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds