Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Turning of Ridge Body Collisions 6 months 4 weeks ago #676

• k.rant91
  • k.rant91's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there. I've heard rumor that you can turn off the collision of a ridge body that is welded to a cloth. How would you go about doing this? Would you just turn the thickness to 0 under the simCarbonShape?
The context for why I am asking:
I was given these assets(buttons) that do have penetrating shanks on the back of the button geo. Ideally, this wouldn't be penetrating but I'm working with what I was given. Turing down the cloth thickness helps with cloth pinching quite a bit but I'm thinking if the collisions on the buttons were off and they were just "riding" on the surface of the dress. Is this something I can do?

drive.google.com/file/d/12tjeWxN9G2X2OBA...npi/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for your speedy replies! 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turning of Ridge Body Collisions 6 months 4 weeks ago #678

• Sebastian
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 25
Hi,

So, as a quick "hack", you could probably simply add a Carbon Filter to your scene that filters between the Cloth and the Body.
But what you end up with is a Rigid + Collision (=Shape + Body) and then a Filter on top that filters the collision between the Body and the Cloth.
You basically undo adding collision. Not super clean but could be a quick hack if you are in a hurry.

To go about it the clean way, especially if you truly want to remove all collision involving the RB and not just the collision between the RB and a Cloth,... what you want is just a Rigid, no Shape or Body needed.

So the great thing about the way Carbon handles Rigid Bodies is that we split it into Rigid, Shape, and Body.
There is a lot of information in the forum if you search for "Rigid".
But you can read all about it here:  All you wanted to know, but never dared to ask about Carbon Rigid "bodies"!
And here is the documentation page that explains it all:
Actor, Rigid, Shape, Body, Soft

The Rigid alone is a dynamic object which can be attached to a Cloth via Welding. And Shape + Body only add Collision to it.
So if I was you, I would remove the Shape and Body nodes and just simulate the Rigids.
And then, similar to how we handle the output meshes of the Body, you can connect the Translate and Rotate attributes of the Rigid to the transform of your meshes.

I have attached an edited version of the "actor_rigid_welding.mb" example from our documentation.
No Shape or Body nodes, just Rigids.
I then created duplicates of the meshes and put them under a new transform "simulated_meshes" (just to group them).
Then, I connected the Rigids' outputs to the meshes' transforms via a python script (obviously you could just do that manually in the node editor)
import maya.cmds as cmds
cmds.connectAttr('carbonRigidShape1.translate', 'pHelixSimulated.translate')
cmds.connectAttr('carbonRigidShape1.rotate', 'pHelixSimulated.rotate')
cmds.connectAttr('carbonRigidShape2.translate', 'pGearSimulated.translate')
cmds.connectAttr('carbonRigidShape2.rotate', 'pGearSimulated.rotate')
cmds.connectAttr('carbonRigidShape3.translate', 'pTorusSimulated.translate')
cmds.connectAttr('carbonRigidShape3.rotate', 'pTorusSimulated.rotate')

You might notice that I put a -0.1 in the Y value of the Translate of the "simulated_meshes". I did that because I wanted to slightly offset the meshes to get a better "dangling" feeling. But that's just my preference in the scene. You can control the relative transform however you want.

I hope this all makes sense.

Please let me know if you have any issues or questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds