Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How do I avoid one garment layer affecting another in my simulation? 2 months 2 weeks ago #591

• admin
  • admin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 20
You may notice that results change significantly when adding new layers to the simulation. 
You pants looking great, then add a shirt and the pants sim changes.
Your pants and shirt affect each other by action and reaction, so this is the expected result.

Now the question is: do you want any physical interaction between the pants and shirt or not?
  • If you want to keep the shirt and the pants two way physical interaction, then you can control the influence of one on another through their density and their stiffness. A heavier cloth like denim trousers would be less affected when colliding with a light cotton shirt. But you cannot get the same wrinkles in the simulation with the pants alone, and with both pants and shirt, simply because it's not the same problem.
  • If you do not want this action and reaction and instead you want one way interaction in a layering order, then you need to use 2 simulations. The first simulation would solve only the pants as Cloth. The second simulation would then solve the shirt as Cloth, using the first simulation pants as an animated Collider. While the shirt simulation would have no impact on the pants, keep in mind that with the pants being a Collider in the second simulation, you can end up with pinching situations generated by the pants animation that can entrap the shirt and corrupt the second simulation results.
    There is a "Avatar Layered Multi Simulation" example in the downloads section of the Carbon for Maya and Carbon for Houdini docs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.042 seconds